A sampling of what's new
- Graphical enhancements - there are now weather conditions. The Pokémon in the game are colored more vibrantly.
- More detailed information in the stats screens.
- 135 new Pokémon have been added (originally thought to be 100), making it a total of 386. The Pokédex has been renumbered, and the first 202 Pokémon in the new list can be caught.
- You can't trade Pokémon from previous versions.
- A new Pokémon region known as Hoenn, and a Professor in Hoenn named Birch. You won't find the Johto and Kanto regions in the game. The trainer begins the adventure at Littleroot Town, where Professor Birch lives.
- New attacks are also available in these games.
- Some Pokémon have abilities that can be beneficial in battle.
- In 2-on-2 trainer battles, such as the twins from GSC, two Pokémon can be sent out at once. The attacks are first selected, and the attacks are performed by each Pokémon in succession.
- No new Pokémon types are added, but some new Pokémon have unique type combinations.